Friday, September 20, 2013

Acclimation



When we got to Tanzania a little over a year ago I thought it was hot. Any time I left the house I would sweat and when I was at home I sat in front of the fan. I could not believe it when I realized that we came in the cool time of the year and it was only going to get hotter. February was probably the worst month. I do not know if I ever stopped sweating. I had started to think that I would never be cool again. But we have amazing bodies that slowly started to acclimate to the temperature.  

This July we had been in Tanzania for one year. Last year I thought it was hot, but this year I thought the weather was really nice. This year I could go a whole day without sweating. Even the days that we walked to school I would not sweat. I also stopped sitting in front of the fan all the time because I would start to get a little chilly. Even though the temperature was the same in July 2012 as it was in July 2013 it felt very different. It really amazes me that we have been given the ability to adjust to our environment.  

-Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Lauren
    Thanks for sharing that part of your transition. It is amazing how are bodies acclimate. I hope that faces and places are beginning to feel like home. My family served with LMH in the Marshall Islands 2004-2007. I laughed when I saw locals wearing sweaters 6° north of the equator. By our last year, I felt the shiver too. Thank you for living your faith in the world and working with the local Catholic church to bring about the kingdom. Stay safe! My prayers are with you. Jill Kalinski, Washington DC

    ReplyDelete